After fasting during the entire month of Ramadan, Muslims around the world celebrate the special day called Eid al-Fitr, known as “Lebaran” in Indonesia. Unlike the celebrations held in previous years, this year’s Eid must be celebrated carefully. If we do not follow the policies that have been announced, both from the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) or the local government, it has the potential of a massive increase of COVID-19 cases. This happens because Eid al-Fitr is a day where people usually gather with family, relatives, neighbors, and surrounding communities, greets each other, and interacts with one another. For the matter, let’s follow the guidelines of MUI Fatwa No. 28 of 2020 and the Official Letter of the Minister of Religious Affairs No.6 of 2020 in celebrating Eid.
- Eid prayer can be held in a congregation in a field, mosque for Muslims who are in a controlled area or COVID-19-free area.
- Eid al-Fitr prayers may be held at home either in the congregation with family or alone (munfarid or solitary), especially for Muslims in the COVID-19 red zone
- Eid al-Fitr Khutbah is Sunnah, if there is no one who can deliver Khutbah at home, then Eid prayer can be done without a Khutbah.
- Every Muslim is urged to bring the night of Eid al-Fitr with takbeer, dhikr tahlil, and keep praising to Allah. However, with the pandemic conditions COVID-19, takbeer can be carried out at home both solitary and with family (not recommended to do takbeer march)
- Carrying out the Eid al-Fitr practices which include bathing, cutting nails, wearing the best clothes and fragrances, eating before prayer and doing takbeer until nearing Eid prayer while still paying attention to preventative measures of COVID-19.
- Minimize physical contact to collect zakat al-Fitr and/or zakat al-Mal by not opening outlets in the crowds, and replace by pick-up service and banking service transfers.
- “Silaturrahim” or Halal Bihalal can be done through social media or video/conference calls.
Hopefully we can implement the guidance that has been given by the MUI and the Ministry of Religious Affairs in carrying out Eid al-Fitr. More guidance on the implementation of Eid al-Fitr prayers at home for Muslims can be seen here: https://covid19.go.id/p/protokol/infografi-fatwa-mui-no-28-tahun-2020).
Summit Institute of Development wishes you a Happy Eid Al-Fitr 1441 H, Taqobbalallahu Minna Wa Minkum, Taqobbal Ya Karim. May our fasting be accepted by Allah SWT.
Writer : Ardina Ulya
Editor : IffaPermatasari
Translator : Mazidatun Maftukhah