On March 15, 2020, President of the Republic of Indonesia Joko Widodo, called on the community to work, study and do prayer at home as an effort to minimize the spread of the SARS-COV-2 virus transmission. This method is quite effective to reduce contact between people who have been exposed to the virus towards healthy people, especially to vulnerable people such as the elderly and people with other catastrophic diseases.
However, working from home is usually stumble by conditions and environmental situations. Moreover, it is agreed that the work done at home is not ideal because of limited facilities. Maintaining physical and mental health while working from home is necessary. Here are ways to keep being active while working from home.
- Provide a special space or room to work
- To maximize your work, it is required to have a special place which includes a desk and chair like in an office. If not possible, sitting cross-legged with a small table can be an alternative. Make sure the light is bright when using a laptop, the distance between the laptop and the eyes is not too close approximately 45-70 cm, back and head upright with relaxed shoulders, and feet can tread well. This can prevent excessive aches and keep your laptop safe, compared to working on a mattress or just any place.
- Make a daily schedule
- Make a schedule of your work hours and write it on a board so that all family members know that you are doing work at a particular hour. It needs good communication between them regarding work schedule arrangements so it will not collide with homework. It can also avoid the distraction and stress caused by the tension in managing time between office work and homework.
- Do stretching during work
- Sitting too long in front of a laptop screen can make your eyes tired and your body sore. Do stretching every 2 hours or take a rest for 15 minutes every 1 hour. Taking a rest can also be filled by consuming healthy snacks such as fruits and nuts
- Consume nutritious foods and drink lots of water
- Working from home does not mean there is less work. In fact, we often forget the time to eat when there is a lot of work to do. This should be avoided because the goal of working from home is to stay healthy, so it is important to maintain a nutritious diet and drink enough water. The reason is that dehydration can also reduce your concentration at work.
- Intense communication with the office staff.
- If communication with family members has been done, then communication with colleagues and superiors in the office also becomes an important aspect when working from home. In addition to knowing what tasks we have to do, this is a sign that you all are working from home to continue to carry out office obligations.
- Do physical activity before and after work
- In addition to maintaining a nutritious intake, physical activity such as exercise before and after work is also important to do. It aims to keep the body fit and reduce the risk of obesity due to limited movement and activities that can only be done at home.
This means that working from home doesn’t have to reduce the quality of our work. We can carry out the work well and remain productive like working in the office as usual, mainly if we could apply the points mentioned above.
Writer : Ardina Ulya
Editor : Irza Husmelinda, Iqmi Qaisah Ali, Mazidatun Maftukhah, M. Billy Ryan Putra.
Translator : Mazidatun Maftukhah